YAWGOOG SCOUT RESERVATION
61 Camp Yawgoog Rd, Rockville, RI 02873
2020 Week 4 Theme: Disney
This & That
- We will meet Saturday, July 18, at 7:00 pm at the church to pack the trailer with trunks and gear. We will also inspect each Scout's trunk. Anything needed for the car ride, especially a raincoat, and the first several hours of camp should be brought on Sunday in their day pack.
- We will meet at the church at noon on Sunday, July 19, and leave soon afterwards. We will stop around 4:00 to eat dinner at McDonald"s so please bring some $$ for food. You will also need lunch money for the return trip. The return time is a bit fluid depending if we participate in the Yawgoog parade. We will send a text midweek, once the adults decide. Either way it will be sometime in the afternoon.
- I will need your completed medical forms and a copy of your insurance card by the June 25 meeting the latest. Make sure all questions are answered. The section that asks for two people authorized to pick up your child, the idea is to list a relative or family friend that may show up to pickup your Scout in case of an emergency or just as a routine from weekly meetings and activities. We can then check the ID of that person. If the area is left blank we will only release your child to you.
- We operate a Troop bank at camp. Each Scout will have an envelope and we will collect money from parents the day we leave and record amounts. Once a day, the bank will open and Scouts can withdraw money. Any large withdrawal request will be scrutinized for the good of all. You can send whatever amount you like but $50.00 is a good target.
- Cell phones. Scouts do not need them at camp. This is always a touchy topic especially as they become ingrained in the daily lives of our Scouts for better or worse. The adult leadership will decide the policy. In general, we like to minimize use of cell phones. Please make your child aware that he will have very limited access to his cell phone he if he brings one and any such time will be supervised especially for the new Scouts. All the adults have a cell phone and parents are welcome to call us.
- Homesickness: There is a great article on the Yawgoog page of the troop website. Please talk camp up and what a great adventure it will be with the other boys. Minimize talk of "I'll miss you so much" and please do not tell your child you will come pick him up if he misses home too much. Calling home each night actually makes homesickness worse and in general we will not allow Scouts to call home until mid week.
- Every Scout will receive a Yawgoog hat in September.
- A small day pack is necessary to carry around merit badge stuff and for hikes we take. We strongly advise against "string" bags as they break very easily.
- Some Scouts take a shower every day, others do not. All Scouts will be forced to shower, at the very least, on Wednesday. The shower house is new and each stall is private. Swimming in the lake does not count as a bath.
- NO FLIP FLOPS! All footwear must have a heel strap.
- Hopefully not, but it can rain every day at camp. A good raincoat is necessary as travelling around camp with an umbrella is not practical.
- Scouts basically wear their orange troop shirts every day. At least two of them is a must.
How to Help Your Scout Avoid Homesickness
- Prepare for camp
- Recognize the signs
- Set up a no-call policy
- Show your support
Merit Badge List/Schedule
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.